A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Monday, November 2, 2020

Worth The Wait: Alden’s Leisure Hand Sean Loafer in Horween Ravello Shell Cordovan



It seems like a lifetime ago, but in February I placed a special order for a pair of Alden Leisure Hand Sewn loafers in one of Alden's exotic leather offerings, Ravello Shell Cordovan via the ShoeMart in Westport, CT. Typically, the wait time would be 3-4 months. At some point, I was contacted and notified that due to the pandemic and its effect on the ability of the Alden factory to operate, the delivery time would be closer to 6 months. This wasn't entirely unexpected so I kind of forgot about the shoes after a while, to be perfectly honest. 


  




Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I was informed that the shoes would be shipping at the end of the August. And the loafers were worth the weight. I had actually tried on a pair of black shell loafers on the van last at the Madison Avenue Alden store in Manhattan way back in February. Full disclosure: I went by the store and told them that I was considering the special order via the ShoeMart and asked the salesperson what size he would recommend for me based on my sizes in other Alden loafer lasts so I specifically stated that I didn't want to try on a pair - I dislike going into stores and trying on shoes when I have no intention of actually making a purchase in that store. 

The salesperson appreciated my honesty and suggested that I try on a few pair to ensure a proper fit - this was a Ravello LHS special order, after all! The store was pretty quiet but it was still very kind of him to take the time to pull out a few pairs from the back for me to try on. 


   


Ultimately, I decided to order a size 9E rather than my usual 10D and I have to say that I think the fit is spot on. Granted, I haven't actually worn them anywhere yet, but the shoes seem to be a perfect combination of a spacious toe box and a snug heel. I think these loafers will fit just right with thinner (or no) socks in the spring and summer.


   

Obviously, it goes without saying that Horween's Ravello shell cordovan is simpy immaculate. It's just one man's opinion but no one does shell cordovan quite like Alden. The tone and richness of the color is exquisite, and there's really something about the way the shell on each piece of the loafer never seems to quite match. But, of course, that's kind of the point, isn't it?


  

No comments:

Post a Comment