A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Monday, September 26, 2011

American Tradaturra? Rogers Peet


          Italian sprezzatura manifests itself in many ways - most of which I end up thinking can be catalogued as breaking "style" rules for no other reason but to do something different. In the end, some things work, some things don't, but one can respect the attempt to try to something new.

         With the vibrant colors and patterns of Luca Rubinacci's wonderful overcoats and jackets in mind, I set out in search of something for myself. I'm probably just a wee bit more conservative than Mr. Rubinacci, so while I knew that I would like something with a multitude of colors, I knew that I would most likely end up with something that Mr. Rubinacci would probably never be caught dead in. Since I also enjoy thrifting, I set out one Saturday in New York City to make the rounds. There are about 10-15 thrift shops on my route, so I usually end up seeing something that catches my eye for the fall.

          The thrifting gods were smiling down upon me when I came across this immaculate raglan overcoat in absolutely pristine condition.



          In addition to having a lovely mutli-hued houndstooth pattern, the raglan played up to my love of New York, as the coat was manufactured by that illustrious purveyor of classic American menswear, Rogers Peet.


          Founded in lower Manhattan in 1874, the company made its name selling men's apparel and at its peak, the company had 12 locations in the New York area.

Rogers Peet
16 East 42 Street: If you keep your eyes open,
you can catch a glimpse of the once mighty Rogers, Peet empire.

          In its early years Rogers, Peet introduced several innovations into the men's wear business: they attached tags to garments giving fabric composition, they marked garments with price tags (the established practice was to haggle), they offered customers their money back if not satisfied, and they used illustrations of specific merchandise in their advertising. They also used cartoons in their advertisements, a rarity at the time.


Partially-lined: Perfect for the Fall.


Large leather-wrapped buttons - a bit worn, but these can be replaced relatively easily.



I really love the colorful hue to the houndstooth pattern. Whether it adds some American sprezzatura to my work and casual outfits ensembles is another question.



Can't wait for the Fall!



2 comments:

  1. What a find, and what a gorgeous looking coat! Enjoy it.

    Best Regards,

    Ulrich von B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I too love the 20's and 30's- The style and the class of that era. They have a few good replica items at Zara in the city as well as Rugby. Just came across your blogs-Very much enjoy it! All the best!
    Danny McDermott

    ReplyDelete