A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Monday, April 29, 2013

Keeping Old Things Alive: Fine Binding in NYC



I recently came across an over-sized, early edition of Apparel Arts from Fall 1934. Surprisingly, while the spine was badly damaged, the interior of the issue was in very good condition, with all artwork, pages, and even original fabric swatch samples still intact.



I reached out to Joe Landau at FineBinding.com, who suggested rebinding the places and replacing the outer trim along the edge of the spine. As a result, the hardcover book now has that "new" feel along the spine - I can now peruse the pages to my heart's content and not worry about doing further damage to what truly is an American treasure - an original 1930s hardcover, over-sized edition of Apparel Arts.





For more information on the wonderful restorative work that Mr. Landau and FineBinding.com can do, check out www.FineBinding.com. 42 West 38th Street, New York, NY 10018. 212-252-0129.


No comments:

Post a Comment