A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Thursday, July 10, 2014

Borsalino: Something Old and Something New




I picked up a Borsalino panama a few months ago from J&J Hatters, and I've finally gotten around to trying it out as temperatures have soared in the last few weeks here in the tri-state area. Its a beautiful hat - the weave is well done, and the light brown ribbon works well with many of the items in my wardrobe. I wore it down to the Armoury the other day, and I got quite a few compliments on my way down there.

This may be specific to J&J Hatters, but I was surprised that such a relatively expensive accessory didn't come with a nice hat box. Perhaps if you purchase a Borsalino directly from the company or another distributor, its packaged differently. When I made the purchase, my lovely panama was neatly wrapped and bundled inside a fairly non-descript white cardboard hat box with handle and J&J Hatters logo affixed to the box cover.



My expectations were probably heightened because I had come across a lovely vintage Borsalino hat box in a thrift shop near 23rd street some time ago. I picked it up for a few dollars because it was quite tantalizing. A box wrapped in black linen with the Borsalino crest and logo embossed in gold across the cover and along the sides. A thick black drawstring keeps the box closed while carrying. When drawn tight, the excess string can be used as a handle. Simple yet elegant.



I assumed that I'd get some variation of that design with my Borsalino purchase, but such was not the case sadly. Fortunately, I can now put my new Borsalino straw in  a vintage Borsalino hat box, the perfect combination of the modern and the vintage.

No comments:

Post a Comment