A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Thursday, July 10, 2014

Borsalino: Something Old and Something New




I picked up a Borsalino panama a few months ago from J&J Hatters, and I've finally gotten around to trying it out as temperatures have soared in the last few weeks here in the tri-state area. Its a beautiful hat - the weave is well done, and the light brown ribbon works well with many of the items in my wardrobe. I wore it down to the Armoury the other day, and I got quite a few compliments on my way down there.

This may be specific to J&J Hatters, but I was surprised that such a relatively expensive accessory didn't come with a nice hat box. Perhaps if you purchase a Borsalino directly from the company or another distributor, its packaged differently. When I made the purchase, my lovely panama was neatly wrapped and bundled inside a fairly non-descript white cardboard hat box with handle and J&J Hatters logo affixed to the box cover.



My expectations were probably heightened because I had come across a lovely vintage Borsalino hat box in a thrift shop near 23rd street some time ago. I picked it up for a few dollars because it was quite tantalizing. A box wrapped in black linen with the Borsalino crest and logo embossed in gold across the cover and along the sides. A thick black drawstring keeps the box closed while carrying. When drawn tight, the excess string can be used as a handle. Simple yet elegant.



I assumed that I'd get some variation of that design with my Borsalino purchase, but such was not the case sadly. Fortunately, I can now put my new Borsalino straw in  a vintage Borsalino hat box, the perfect combination of the modern and the vintage.

1 comment:

  1. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you got to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Have your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete