A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Wednesday, July 4, 2012

B. Nelson: Another Fine Re-Sole




I've commented before on the great work done by Nick V. and his crew at B. Nelson in Manhattan. I had a vintage pair of Edward Green's for Paul Stuart resoled, and I came away impressed with the work that was done - Rendenbach leathers used with channeled soles, elegantly bevelled waists, and sunken metal toe taps. From that point on, I've pretty much become a B. Nelson devotee. As the store is not too far from my job, I take almost all of my shoes there now for whatever work might be necessary.






A few years ago, I purchased a nice pair of Crockett & Jones' wingtips made for Brooks Brothers' Peal & Co. line on the 318 last. While I kept the uppers in good condition, I neglected the soles to the point that one was just about to ready to give out on me. A hole hadn't formed yet, but there was a dark spot on the sole that was threatening to wear completely through.

I didn't think a channeled sole with bevelled waist was warranted here, so I dropped the shoes off with Nick for a basic resole using the JR Rendenbach soles.








Once again, I was impressed with the end result!


1 comment: