A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Monday, September 3, 2012

"Everything But The Motor": Alfred Dunhill Driving Gloves



Today, Alfred Dunhil Ltd. is a British-based company specializing in men's luxury leather goods, including writing implements, timepieces, lighters, colognes, and clothing. Interestingly, the business began when a young Alfred Dunhill took over his father's London saddlery. Responding to the growing demand for automobiles, he developed a line of accessories called "Dunhill's Motorities."



In keeping with the company's slogan, "Everything but the motor," Dunhill's first Motorities collection included car horns, lamps, leather overcoats, and goggles. While the company today has become something more akin to a global luxury emporium, I'm always heartened to see a company embracing its heritage. On a bit of a whim, I picked up a pair of Dunhill driving gloves - made in England, the leather is soft and supple but appears to be of sturdy construction. I'm always a sucker for a rich shade of brown, and this pair of gloves is not lacking in that department.




With my Motorities driving gloves, Tod's driving mocs, Persol 714s, and Lock&Co. driving cap, I'm accessorized to the hilt and ready for a ride in the country - unfortunately, to paraphrase Alfred Dunhill, I actually seem to have everything but the motor.



No comments:

Post a Comment