A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Monday, December 23, 2013

Life's Simple Pleasures: The Hot Shave


Rene Guemps goes to work on An Uptown Dandy

A few weeks ago, I sat down for a hot shave from Freelance Barber/Groomer Rene Guemps in New York City. I usually shy away from hot shaves with a straight-edge razor because, when I've sat down for them in the past, my face usually ends up on fire for the next two days. My skin is pretty sensitive, but Rene recognized this right away and reduced the number of times he went over my skin with the razor. He also preceded the shave with the application of hot towels, which was exquisite and one of the more pleasant grooming experiences I've ever had.



For those who might be interested, Rene runs a great blog on all things grooming - from the history of the sideburn, to the best places to get a haircut in the US, to recommended hair and shaving products. You can access the blog here.

Many thanks for the amazing photographs by Stephen LaMarche of www.stephenlamarche.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment