A Fine Man Once Said:

"Part of the 10 million I spent on gambling, part of it on booze, and part of it on women. The rest I spent foolishly."

- George Raft





Monday, December 9, 2013

More from Marshalls (or the curious case of the high-end luxury goods discounter)




I try to make my way over to my neighborhood Marshalls when I can, although my visits are generally few and far between. The last time I dropped in, I came across the strange Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece suits that had been stripped of tags - but a great deal for a fully canvassed suit made in the USA for only $199.

This time, the suits and sportsjacket section had a healthy sampling of exquisite items from the likes of Etro, Brunello Cucinelli, and Brioni.


Etro



Unfortunately, there was nothing in my size, but these events certainly bear watching.

Brunello Cucinelli




I'm not sure these items are going to catch the eye of the average Marshalls shopper - and I can't imagine that same shopper is going to prices like these -  $399 (Etro), $599 (Cucinelli) or Brioni ($999) - to be much of a bargain. But those are good prices for sportsjackets from those brands.


Brioni



Of course, shopping at Marshalls comes with a serious catch - on the one hand, the longer an item sits on the shelf, the deeper the discount gets. But, at the same time, the longer that item sits on the shelf, the more its condition deteriorates from being tossed around, dropped on the floor, wheeled over, snagged, pulled, etc. The gift and the curse of Marshalls, so to speak.

Brunello Cucinelli




Anyway, happy hunting!

4 comments:

  1. It looks like there are some real nice jackets, but which Marshalls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also seeing Brioni and Brunello Cucinelli jackets at the Marshalls at Shoppers World in Framingham, MA. Just not in my size. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece suits at Marshalls at Shoppers World in Framingham, MA. And in my size!!! $300 w/BB tags and labels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Mark! Amazing that the BB suits are still out there at pretty decent prices . . .
    Dan (An Uptown Dandy)

    ReplyDelete